Especially when we have it right in the palm of our hands, everything just happens so quickly. But I’m firm in my belief (which has no correlation to truth) that if you’re feeling comfortable… you can move faster.
This weekend I made great strides and I’d like to talk briefly about how I set my intentions since I last wrote in an effort to help you use the next 7 days of 2018 to shape the remainder of the year for yourself. Let’s add more depth to the vision. More tangible goals to reach and most importantly, let’s identify the key players of your team. I call this, process “trimming the fat”.
What is “the fat”? (in business and success coaching, that is)
Fat is extra energy (sometime useless) energy. It can be good for a burst of distraction in the right setting, but generally speaking, fat will slow you down. It can be full of energy, but that energy typically pulls you away from your end goals. Distractions.
Fat also houses a metric shit tonne of toxins. Bad energy. No nutrients. Just cancer-ridden tissue that will ultimately poison you, slowly.
Top 5 Fats to Trim From Your Life If You’re Serious About Success
- Facebook, Instagram and the rest of the social media gamut – Put your phone away and listen up. Actually make an effort to designate particular hours to be on your social media accounts checking the latest tweets. Otherwise, invest in self-control or look into a focus app (like Stay Focused for Chrome users, or Hey Focus for safari users). There’s a bunch of stuff out there and research shows productivity in the workplace is at an all time low, so don’t become a statistic. Stay driven!
- Poor diet – If you’re feeling lethargic it’s likely a by product of your poor lifestyle. Carefully examine the fuel you’re putting into yourself and see how much of it is “real”. Your first clue is does it have a label? If your answer’s yes, you’d better start connecting the dots… Eating real food will help you get the right nutrients to the body and mind and keep your energy up and uselessness down. Boom. However, it’s also important to know how much to eat. Without getting too picky, this is a great way to measure out food. If you need a little help with how much of what you need on your plate, I can help you with that as part of my Precision Nutrition Coaching. Here’s a rad diagram for you to keep when you wanna take that 10oz steak down. Keep in mind you’re not a lion. Unless you are. Then carry on and feed the pride.
- Relationships – AKA “Energy Vampires”. These people suck – quite literally – the life of you. Ever had a conversation with someone and you leave feeling exhausted? I have. Yeah, they need to go. Like, now. You are on your way to bigger and better things so you have to cut the dead weight that is holding you back and draining you of physical, emotional and psychological energy. Ever heard the expression “You’re the Sum of the 5 people you’re around the most?” While that’s pretty accurate, you’re also responsible to the beliefs that you hold. So the 5 beliefs you have (i.e.: you have to talk to so and so because they’re family/life-long friend/ girlfriend is a story you’ve been telling yourself. If that relationship only serves you in a negative headspace, you gotta cut ties.
- Your conflict language (victim/blame game) – Practice ownership of every situation you’re ever in. I just taught a Musician Wellness course based off of my first book “The Musician’s Guide To Surviving The Rock Star Lifestyle” last week and when we got to the mindset section on the third night, the biggest takeaway for the class was that they’re usually completely responsible for all the shittiest things in their life and when they thought about it, they were also in complete control of how to rectify that situation and get the ship back on course. It starts with owning your language. Listen to a two part chat I had with Mark England, Co-Founder of Procabulary in Season 2 of the SchwartzCast if you’re interested in the power of words —> behaviour —> action. Listen here. Subscribe to my Podcast on iTunes or Google Play.
- Sitting – Seriously one of the most cancerous fats you could possible exist in your world. If you’re sitting for more than 60% of your day, you’re slowly committing suicide. The compression of your spine, tendency to roll shoulders, slouch, tip your head forward, disengage your muscles in your back, butt and legs etc… The list goes on… are all huge factors that seriously cramp your postural style and thus need to go. Stat. Try getting up every 15 minutes or so and having a little stretch or meet Bob at the water cooler every 30 min for a high five. You know he’s good for it. Bob loves high fives. Check out a personal favourite of mine, Kelly Starrett at www.mobilitywod.com for a hundred more reasons why you shouldn’t be sitting. If you are right now, get up and walk around a bit. Seriously… I’ll wait….
Get a stretch in?
Let’s round this out with some closing thoughts.
So I took a serious look at these areas in my list on Thursday night and set an intention (with help from a major player in my life, Janis Isaman – check her out) to earn money every day. Since setting that and affirming it, and having Janis message me her grand successes, kept me on the straight and narrow each day since.
Another major help was a new friend, Mr. Mike Little, Producer, Songwriter and Studio Musician. Now, this dude is a heavyweight in the Canadian music scene. He’s probably played on more records than you’ve even listened to.
He’s a monster.
He’s been so kind to really add some business acumen to my company’s vision as well, and I’d like to close with that and how you could be a part of helping to create great music.
I’m in phase one of research. If you are a musician, even just dabble away at guitar, weekend warrior, used to sing, want to get back at it, I’m asking for your help.
I’m setting up a platform that will connect all musicians with unlimited, tailored access to world-class resources from leaders in the health and wellness world. We’re talking content, services, information, education, remote coaching, live events.. you name it… all to help bring to life musician wellness.
I’m just working out the kinks, because I am going to do this right. So here’s where you come in. I’d really appreciate it if you shared this link with every musician you know. Music has no borders and neither does MusicFit Collective: a resource pool of health and wellness service providers aimed to educate the entire music industry in all things proactive health. Please take a peek and share, share, share. It’s a dream of mine to make health education accessible to my music industry peers. Your support is appreciated.
here’s the link: https://goo.gl/forms/7TjjP1WBMW80ypjc2
If you’re down, please share the shit out of that.
Until next time, stay sweet,