As I sit in the Calgary International airport, waiting for boarding to Winnipeg, I’m in a reflective kind of state.
Have you ever just sort of wondered how you got to a point you’re in at life. Like, completely non-judgmental, but just …pondering? I’m totally there. I’ve got my luggage holding my snare and all my tour clothes and the essentials (travel roller, skipping rope, running shoes, grooming kit etc…) and my carry on consists of my cymbal bag, stick bag and another bag full of books, this MacBook and a couple more items that couldn’t get in the checked bag.
I know wait to go on an adventure I’ve dreamed of since I started playing. I thought in high school… “it’d be so cool…” So much that I actually literally wrote it down as my Grade 12 graduation yearbook quote:
“I’m gonna be a rock star one day!”
Crazy. I mean, the meaning back then is a little different than now, but I think I hit it on the head with persistence and patience and just pursuing what I love hard.
Power of words.
Okay, I’ve put this off long enough… here’s my top 11 movies about music. Ever. I don’t generally watch a lot of movies, but when I do they’re generally themed around sports, music or random good times. So I consider myself an expert.
You can disagree, but just know that you’re wrong. Just kidding, you can’t disagree. 😛
- That Thing You Do – You just cannot beat Guy. This movie has shaped me as a human more than I’d like to admit.
- Almost Famous – also, incredibly impactful on my life.
- Whiplash – Best drumming movie ever.
- Drumline – Also best drumming movie ever.
- 8 Mile – Eminem is badass. Nuff said.
- Straight Outta Compton – N.W.A. are also extremely badass. And this was surprisingly accurate
- This Is Spinal Tap – You can’t have a list like this without this movie on here
- Walk The Line – such a powerful movie
- Empire Records – I had a big crush on Liv Tyler forever. (see #1 for ref)
- School of Rock – Great music. One of the only films I can tolerate Jack Black in.
- Ray – Amazing. Powerful like Walk The Line. I wish I lived in that era.
Honourable Mentions – Across The Universe, Blues Brothers, Footloose, Hedwig and the Angry Inch
Alright, there’s plenty more. But what’s your favourite? Did I miss any big ones for ya? Let me know in the comments below. Thanks for reading.
Til next time, stay sweet!