Yep. It’s kinda embarrassing, eh? Fact is that the majority of us don’t even know how to stand. So, I’m going to paraphrase a lesson from Kelly Starrett’s “Becoming A Supple Leopard” – a bracing sequence that you can practice in order to become more efficient movers.
- Squeeze your butt!
- thats’s right. When you squeeze your butt cheeks you align your pelvis in a nice, neutral position leaving your spine in a better position for kicking ass
- Put your ribs back down!
- yep, think about tucking your bottom ribs back down towards your hip bones. That way your spine stays straight and you stay solid.
- Brace up like you’re gonna take a punch to the belly
- this one is super important. Breathe normally, and tighten your abs. Flex, Arnie. You got it!
- Tuck the tips of your shoulder blades into your back pockets
- this will bring your shoulders back and chest up. Proud like a peacock, now.
- Turn your hands out, palms facing forward
- the last step and one that forces your posture into correct alignment
Beware, this all might feel weird to start. That’s normal. You’ve spent a long time doing things incorrectly. That’s right. Standing wrong.
Who would have thought, eh?
Wanna learn more about posture, body weight and movement mechanics? I’ve got a 6 week calisthenic challenge coming up… and you should look into joining. Find out more below.